Welcome

Hi,
I'm Megan, wife to Ralph, homeschooling mom to 7 blessings from the Lord. I just blog about our everyday life as we try to live for and follow Jesus.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Cara Wins!

Ok, well, we all know how Cara has been pining and whining for a cat. Just before vacation, I was close to giving in, but last night was the final straw and now I can't wait to get a cat. I love them! No matter that they make me sneeze, cats are my new best friends. Here's the scoop......
We got home, unpacked, did a bunch of laundry, etc., the usual after vacation routine. Then it was time to fall into our nice, clean beds. Ahhh, the house was quiet, the children were sleeping, and......what was that? I sat up in bed. I distinctly heard scratching and gnawing sounds. From the area of my dresser!!! But no, Ralph says, that's in the wall. There's nothing he can do about it tonight, he says. He'll set traps and set decon out tomorrow, he says. Hmm, I swear it sounds like it's in the room. No, no, says Ralph, surely they are in the wall. Boy does it sound like it's coming from inside my dresser, but I must be crazy! Ralph starts snoring and I just lay there, listening to the sounds of something...mouse? rat? what is it???? I can't stand it, I can't sleep!!! Jackson likes to sleep on a little mattress next to our bed-----that's a long story, I know, spoiled child and all that, but at this time in our lives, with 9 people in the house, it works---back to last night.....where was I? Oh, yes, Jackson likes to sleep on his little mattress next to our bed, but in his dreams he yells out "Ow, stop!". All I can think is a big, fat, evil rat is biting him. Scurry, scratch, gnaw. So I let Jack up in my bed. I can't stand the thought him on the floor with all that gnawing going on, while Ralph snores away, so I let him into my side of the bed so I can protect him from killer rodents, and so now I am listening to the noises and being squashed by a snuggly boy. I lay there til long past midnight, listening to the noises and getting really freaked out!! I just kept telling myself, Monday morning, I am going to the animal shelter and getting a mouser! Finally, sleep won.....
This morning, there were waffles to make, littles to get ready, and church to get to, and so the mice were put into the back of my mind. Ok, can you believe it? I actually forgot for the moment, in all the Sunday morning hussle. But as soon as we were on our way home from church, I remember! Gave Ralph the long lecture about how something must be done and I am getting a CAT, because when we had Buddy, we never had mice, he saw to that. Oh, forgot to mention, Nick was the last one to get the cold and so he stayed home from church. When we get here, he explains that he heard noises and finally went exploring to see what the noise was and has found 2 baby mice. Where, you ask? IN RALPH'S SOCK DRAWER!!! (That would be in my dresser. In my BEDROOM.) Further research finds another baby and a deceased mama mouse in another drawer! Oh, the awfulness, of all the horrible, terrible, disgusting things! I couldn't look. The rest of the family had to deal with it, because I could NOT.
Sigh. Go away for a week, and the mice think they can move in..
Traps have been set, the drawers have all been cleaned out (and mice disposed of, much to Samantha's and Rebecca's sorrow--"Can't we keep them?"), the bedroom searched for any more signs of rodents. So far, so good.
We're still getting a cat.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Yeah Cara!!!! I told you planting those mice would do the trick :-)

Cara said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a good idea Aunty!

Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands. Proverbs 14:1