Welcome

Hi,
I'm Megan, wife to Ralph, homeschooling mom to 7 blessings from the Lord. I just blog about our everyday life as we try to live for and follow Jesus.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Recipe for a Happy Boy

This morning, the big kids were doing their Math, and I had a few things I needed to do before sitting down to do some school with Jackson. But....as I was trying to get these things done, Jackson was being loud and distracting the other kids. And when I told him to stop, he got all grumpy and gave me his mean face. My first reaction was to get angry.....doesn't this kid realize I have all this stuff to do? Why won't he behave? I could have lost my temper with him and ruined both of our mornings. Instead, I called him into the kitchen to help me. As I handed him dishes to put in the dishwasher, he whined and pouted and acted helpless. But as I smiled and encouraged him that I needed his help, his whole demeanor changed. He immediately went from surly and uncooperative, to cheerful and happy. Next he helped me put the clothes in the dryer and then a new load into the washer, all while singing and babbling what a good worker he was being. As he was doing that, I told him he could help me start some bread next, and he was thrilled. Seriously. So off he ran to get me some bread flour and he measured out all 12 cups of flour for me, with a smile on his face. Then he asked if he could have more jobs. "Could I spray the doors with cleaner and then wipe it off? And by the way, I love you, Mom." :-)
What changed him? I think he just needed some attention, something to do, and to feel like he was needed. If I had yelled at him and punished him for being loud and annoying in the beginning, neither of us would have gotten the blessing of working and chatting together.
Did it take me twice as long to do it with his "help"? Absolutely.
Was it worth it? Absolutely.

1 comment:

Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands. Proverbs 14:1